I have been married my best friend Jilane since 1987 and together we have four children, the latest we adopted from Haiti. Years ago my wife felt Gods call to go into the world and she has lead us all over the world including Haiti, Alaska, and Uganda so we have had a front row seat to see God do the amazing. We also answered Gods call and founded Canyon Springs church. My hope was to grow it to the place where “mega” was in the title but God had different plans. He wanted us to learn to shepherd people with names and faces and not simply speak and wait for the applause.
More About Jack, From Jack
I grew up in Orange County. I guess that makes my mom one of the Real Housewives of Orange County. (It just got weird didn’t it) Our family wasn’t quite as good looking as the people on that show, however, we did have our share of drama. Not compelling TV drama, just typical family stuff. My parents fought, my dad drank and my sisters and I grew up scared. Back then we all blamed our problems on my dad. I’ve learned enough about life since then to know that there are many factors when relationships go bad, but it was more convenient to blame him.
Then a new dad came into my life. My heavenly Father. I know, I know, that sounds super religious but that guy changed my life. I went to a concert that I didn’t like, and they talked about religion that turned me off, but I felt like God was calling my name so I walked forward. From that moment I knew God was going to make a difference in my life. I can’t tell you how I knew, I just knew. I just had no idea how big a difference.
I grew up as a frightened outsider, but Jesus replaced my fear with confidence. He restored my relationships with my family. He even patched up my relationship with my dad to the point where my father was my number one fan. I find it ironic that today I connect to thousands of people every year speaking and writing, when I spent my childhood afraid of my shadow. I think I do what I do today, not in spite of my past, but because of it. That’s just what God does.
You may have been introduced to an angry, judgmental God who wants to hold you to a to-do list. If that’s the God you’ve been introduced to, I’m sorry. The one I serve came down to earth as an everyman, and wants to love everyman (and woman). I don’t know where you are at in your spiritual journey. You can be on step one or step 101 or you may want nothing to do with God at all. Either way, it doesn’t hurt my feelings. But let’s take a walk together and see where we wind up. You just may run into a Dad who can start the rebuilding process like he did with me. Or maybe you don’t need rebuilding. Maybe you just need some encouragement along your path. Either way, let’s start the journey.
Stuff & Random Tidbits About Jack
- Favorite Movie of All Time: Signs (It’s about a really cool pastor who fights aliens. Plus it depicts what I believe about faith)
- Favorite Animated Movie: How to Train Your Dragon (I’ve watched it so many times I can’t get my kids to watch it with me anymore)
- Favorite Sports: Basketball. My guys are Giannis Antetokounmpo, Stephen Curry, Zion Williamson and Luka Dončić.
- Favorite Candy Bar: 100 Grand
- Favorite Superhero: Antman. Paul Rudd as a superhero. Only in America.
- Favorite Hobby: Getting into sporting events without paying for a ticket. So far I’ve begged my way into several bowl games, basketball games and baseball games by holding a sign that says, “I need one free ticket. I’ll buy you a beer.” The last event I begged my way into was a baseball game at Fenway Park. Pretty cool, or pretty cheap. You decide.